Monday, August 11, 2008

I blame my mother

You would think I could just sit back and enjoy my own engagement party -- particularly when it was being completely catered, set-up, cleaned up and handled by the place where it was being held.

But no.

Instead, I had to spend 3 full days hand making invitations and 2 full days making little boxes to hand out candies to guests as thank yous (not to mention the hand made "Please help yourself!" sign). I also felt it was necessary to get up at the crack of dawn to go to the flower markets for fresh flowers and then arrange them in white bags with specially shopped for ribbons, organize a guest book with Polaroid pictures of each guest to be included, buy candies and canisters to hold them and buy a new Polaroid camera and Polaroid camera film (which I had to order from the US and have my mother ship to me). I of course also had to taste test and research all the specialty cupcake shops in Sydney and order and pay for 50 cupcakes (which then had to be picked up from the shop on the day before the party). And none of this takes into account the hours and hours I spent debating, researching, freaking out, discussing with JL, researching some more and freaking out some more.

By the time the day of the durn party came along I was exhausted and in a panic....

And then.....it started to rain....for our outdoor party....

Poor JL - not only did he have to deal with me freaking out, crying and venting, I then put him into a total panic and he had to rush around taking care of all this really necessary stuff that I had insisted upon.

Good times, I tell you what.

This morning I was talking with my Mom and she told me how she had my sister and her family over for a BBQ on Saturday night. Apparently she didn't know what my sister was bringing over so she rushed around shopping, making salads and cutting veggies and of course worrying about whether there would be desert or not. She cleaned the house, bought lighter fluid and BBQ fuel, and generally worked her butt off to get ready for having 6 people over....ALL FAMILY!

So I blame her. I am genetically unable to simply host a party.....my DNA does not permit it. If I don't freak out, its not a party.

Can't wait for the wedding!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kristen, I do not take credit for you 'freaking out'. You have been doing that since you were a child! By the way, it does get better, and I am able to relax a little bit now, but I am still exhausted after a party! Love you, Mom

Deborah W said...

Hah, yeah, I agree with Mom, you have always been that way, I remember one time at the mall when you were shopping for a prom dress....whew!!! A crying fit on the escalator!!!! Memorable, anyway. Well, you've helped me figure out how to schedule our trip to Hawaii -- we'll come the day before the wedding and then stay for a week AFTER it's all over, he he!!!! love, Deb