Monday, August 18, 2008

Mexi-Oz Day 1

Australia is a loverly place....love.err.lee. And I have been very happy here....except...
for the very serious dearth in Mexican restaurants.

Photo of an Aussie, at a Mexican Restaurant....I don't know him, but I know he is not truly focused on the food!


For a Californian, this is a very very bad thing as I tend to get cranky without regular consumption of guacamole, tacos and burritos..... So, in light of that, we have established a new holiday....


"MEXI-OZ DAY"


Mexi-Oz Day is a holiday which is celebrated by an exuberant (and rather disgusting) display of Mexican food consumption which occurs at the whim of its organizer (me) but which roughly averages to once a week.


If you think Mexi-Oz Day sounds daunting, don't be afraid - it only requires 2 things:


1. Eat Mexican Food....

2. In Australia!


So in honor of the first Mexi-Oz Day (which was August 17th, 2008, a day which will go down in the history of>...ummm...., yeah, ok, me....) I made FISH TACOS and if I do say so myself, they were F.A.B.ulous!


I started with a recipe from FoodNetwork.com but it was too fiddly so I made a few adjustments.


Traditional Mexi-Oz Day Fish Tacos**


Ingredients:
1 pound white flaky fish, such as Basa fish
1/4 cup canola oil
1 lime, juiced
1 pinch (or more if you like it spicy) of chili flakes
1 jalapeno, coarsely chopped (optional)
1 tsp seafood seafood seasoning
Flour tortillas

Garnish:
Chopped cabbage
Hot sauce
Sour cream
Red onion (sliced thin)
Salsa
Avocado, smashed with salt and a little lemon juice


Directions:
Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Place fish in a medium size dish. Whisk together the oil, lime juice, chili flakes, jalapeno and seafood seasoning and pour over the fish. Let marinate for at least 15 minutes (I left it for about 45).

Remove the fish from the marinade place onto a hot grill - pour some of the marinade over fish. Grill the fish for 4 minutes on the first side and then flip for 30 seconds and remove. Let rest for 5 minutes then cut the fish into taco length strips. If you'd like (and you will) grill the tortillas on the grill for 20 seconds in the remaining marinade. Divide the fish among the tortillas and garnish with any or all of the garnishes.


Soooo delicious! Now get going on making them!



**These tacos are traditionally served on the first Mexi-Oz Day of the month of August by locals who celebrate this holiday....(i.e., me).

No comments: