Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Bogong Moth Damper

We are now in the midst of the great Bogong Moth Migration. What this means practically is that I came home from work today, and there was JL, standing in the hallway, with the door wide open, practically swarmed with these dang moths. They were everywhere -- clinging to his hair, perched on his shoulder, divebombing the neighbors (that part was funny). We then spent the next 2 hours alternately crushing them with a dustpan, and charging them with a can of bug spray. In all honesty, I think we must have killed or captured and released over 60 of these things (and this is in my tiny tiny apt (see previous post)).

Poor JL.

Anyway, to make a long story short, after such a fun filled evening* I really felt the need to come and do a little internet research and here are the fun facts I found out:

1. Bogong Moths migrate over 1000 km every year.
2. In certain ancient caves, the floors are covered metres high with dead moth bodies.
3. A Bogong Moth even starred in the closing ceremony of the Sydney 2000 Olympics, when it perched on opera singer Yvonne Kenny during her performance.

BUT HERE IS THE KICKER.....

4. PEOPLE EAT THEM.

Oh yes. They do. In fact, I found this handy little recipe right there on google:

Bogong Moth Damper
Before arsenic** found its way into the moths, they made a fine dinner. Here's a modern adaptation of an ancient recipe.

A generous handful of moths
1 cup plain flour
1 cup self-raising flour
1 cup powdered milk
1/4 teaspoon raising agent
water

Using a mortar and pestle (or near equivalent) pound up the moths with the powdered milk. Mix in the remaining dry ingredients. Add sufficient water to make a stiff dough and shape into a ball. Flatten the ball to a height of 2.5 centimetres, lightly flour the surface and cook in ash, camp oven, or domestic oven until cooked through. Serve hot.

I really wish we hadn't of gotten rid of all those dead moths now (JL sucked them up with the dustbuster). Could have made a fantastic feast!

Excuse me while I go vomit.

* Actually, it was a little bit fun....I particularly liked it when JL, standing in the kitchen with the dustpan in one hand and the bug spray in the other, announced "I am Praying Mantis." I don't know what that means exactly, but it was sure funny.

** Arsenic????....YOU'RE EATING A MOTH FOR CRAP'S SAKE! I would think you would welcome death after that.

No comments: