Thursday, October 25, 2007

Bogong Moth Update II (i.e., the Hong Kong Migration)

I have a confession to make.....JL and I may have single handedly caused the infiltration of the Australian Bogong Moth into Hong Kong. It wasn't on purpose....I promise you that. But it cannot be denied that at least two Bogong Moths did stowaway in our luggage (unbeknowst to us)....and did happen to break free and fly away upon our arrival (and unpacking) in Hong Kong.*

I see two main problems with this, which is why I would like to ask each of you to keep this "confession" to yourselves:

1. I did not declare the Bogongs at customs. I assume there must be some type of quarantine situation for the importation of moths? And/or some kind of duty to be paid? I don't know (and I'm not checking now!) but I certainly didn't do either of those things.... and I don't know if I'm up to a stint in Chinese prison....

2. If in 10 years time, China is swarming with a plague of moths, I'll know it started with the two moths that hitched in in my Pierre Cardin (bought on eBay) luggage.

On the bright side, Hong Kong is pretty hot and humid, which I don't think the Bogongs like (see earlier post) and they did escape into the Ritz Carlton Hotel, which everyone knows, is difficult to leave at the best of times. Perhaps they'll just stay there, eating the chocolates that come on the pillow with the nightly turn down service and letting the Bath Butler run them nightly "Relaxation" or "Chinese Herbal" baths.** The Bogongs have been so busy plauging the Aussie's lately....they could probably use the stress relief!

* JL killed at least one other moth that was hiding in his shoe. Poor thing must have died a horrible death since JL walked around on him for almost an entire afternoon before finally giving into the "what the h-ll is in my shoe", stopping in the street, and pulling out a dead moth. I was mildly nauseated to say the least. It just goes to prove the old adage, if there's a rock in your shoe GET IT OUT cause it might be a moth....yick.

** The Bath Butler at the Ritz Carlton is a real thing. Check it out. Crazy!

No comments: