Monday, December 31, 2007

Blueys (or, "just my luck")

My lovely friend Jeffrey came to town for New Year's and roped me into going to the beach with him. Now Sydney has some gorgeous beaches, and Jeffrey (being the fly guy he is) insisted on Tamarama (aka, Glamorama ). Glamorama, excuse me, Tamarama, is THE BEACH for the beautiful people so I should have had an inkling that this was not the place for me. But I went along good naturedly, put on my nicest bathing suit (I only have one so the choice wasn't hard) and plonked my white, gym-starved self down among all the amazing bronzed European bodies.

Things were going along fine and we were having a nice time catching up and admiring all the hotties around us, but no....I couldn't leave well enough alone and decided to drag myself out into the water....WHERE I PROMPTLY GOT STUNG BY A BLUEBOTTLE JELLYFISH (see picture below)!*
Now to add a little color to the story, there was no less than 200 people in a tiny bit of ocean, and who was the ONLY person to get stung....yes, yes, that would be me. I'm so proud.

The end of the story is just as embarrassing as I had to drag myself, soaking wet and close to tears, to the Aussie lifeguards who have clearly seen it all before (particularly with tourists). Suffice it to say they did not think it was as big a deal as I did!

* JL is insistent that it was dead and only a couple tentacles brushed past me. I really don't know what he's talking about. :)

No comments: