Monday, October 20, 2008

K-nitting 98

When I was in college, I had to take Math 100 my freshman year.  For those of you non math-dummies, Math 100 was essentially a high school math class - you know, for those of us that didn't do quite as well on that portion of our SAT's, or couldn't get through Algebra II.  Yeah, that was me.  It wasn't even Math 101...nope, you had to have a certain level of number literacy for that class.  

So how did I become a finance lawyer, you ask?  Well, if you can figure it out I'd love to know - I ask myself that every day.  

But to get to the point, I was recently looking at a knitting how-to book - you know one of those "knitting for idiots" type books - and I realized as I flipped through it that even this one was too complicated.  Seriously.  I'm the girl who had to look up how to do a garter stitch the other day (but in my defense, why don't they just call it knit stitch?  I mean, really?).  So I'm in the market for Knitting 100.  Anyone seen one of those?  If not, I might have to write it myself.  But then I'd have to call it Knitting 99 or 98, i.e., how to just ignore dropped stitches (which I am superbly talented at by the way).

Anywho, just like I didn't let my complete dysfunction in math stop me from becoming a finance lawyer (just cause I can't balance my checkbook.....), I certainly did not let my total inability to remember what a simple garter stitch is stop me from knitting.  

So here it is!  My first sweater....well the back at least... [insert round of applause here]

Thanks to my fab model....Chops.

I'm also starting on a set of wash cloths, with a chevron pattern no less.  We'll see how they go.  I got some beautiful Jo Sharp yarn and I'm on my way.  

And thanks to fab model #2 - Tilly.

Fine, fine, not that far along but who's counting....

Oh, and just to be clear, I've been knitting for a long time.  Well, at least 4 years.  No, not steadily, but still.  And, to rub salt in the wound, my sisters are amazing knitters.  They can do socks!  I'm still scared of two needles, let alone 4.  But do you know what I have??  Perseverance (and a lot of crappy knitted projects!)!

Love, K
The K-nitting 98 Goddess**

**Self-titled moniker.

[Update - for those of you who are interested, the sweater is The Garter Stitch Jacket by Jo Sharp, page 26 of Knit Issue 6.  The yarn is Posie (also by Jo Sharp).

The wash cloth is from a free pattern by Terri Lee Royea (which you can get here) and the yarn is Debbie Bliss cotton dk in coffee and Jo Sharp in bisque and orchid.  Yummy!]

2 comments:

Deborah W said...

Karen's the ultra-knitter amongst us sisters! I'm just ok. Lisa is still using her Fisher-Price My First Knitting Needles, lol. And Denise knitting? That ain't gonna happen. Hey, check out the Holiday Mystery Gifts yahoogroup (just go to the yahoogroups.com homepage and search for Holiday Mystery Gifts, anyone can join). They have knit-alongs, mystery projects, and lots of really cool knitters eager to help the newbie knitters. It's fun!

Lisa Uskali said...

Hey!!! I am NOT still using my Fisher-Price needles! I have graduates to smaller, more sophisticated ones. But I can still ONLY do the one stitch. Karen bought me the Stitch n Bitch knitting book, and claims it's easy, yet, sadly, it is not....by the way, take back the yelling when you helped me with Algebra. I had no idea you were ALSO math retarded!!!!!