Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Tasmanian Devils, Pademelons and Cradle Mountain

JL and I recently had a long weekend in Tasmania.  It was probably poor planning on our part since we left a gorgeous summery weekend in Sydney for a gloomy, rainy and freezing weekend in Tasmania - but it was a good way to say goodbye to winter!  (Hallelujah!!  And "nah nah nah" to all you poor northern folk!)


We went to Cradle Mountain and stayed in the Cradle Mountain Lodge which was totally FANTABULOUS.  We had a wood burning fireplace in our room and no TV (which was shocking, but great).  Even though it did rain almost the entire weekend we still had a great time.....

Playing with wild-ish pademelons outside of our room (a pademelon is a type of wallaby - I, of course, called them Patty Melts because, well, because I'm that cool).


Going to the Tasmanian Devil sanctuary.  Regardless of what you think, T-Devils are pretty cute - they look sorta like huge rats, and really, who doesn't like a huge rat.  But they do have a super creepy growly scream thing going on.  

And they scare the crap out of me when they eat (and they eat those cute little Patty Melts!).

We hiked around Cradle Mountain, which was gorgeous and rainforesty.

We ate yummy food.

And we saw some amazing views.

All in all, I loved it!  

As an aside, this trip was JL's birthday present from me.  Aren't I nice (notwithstanding the fact that JL has already been here before, and hiked Cradle Mountain and seen T-Devils and Patty Melts, while I hadn't - it was still ALL about him, doncha know)?

No comments: